Thursday, May 24, 2012

Silence is deafening

My silence is deafening according to my bestie M who is quite disgusted I have been so slack with my posting - apparently she is lacking reading material for her commute home each day and wants me to rectify this quick smart.

To be honest, I really just haven't had much to share... I've been busy but haven't really felt there has been anything worth reporting but here goes, an update for M and anyone else who cares to read it.

We are definitely getting down to the business end of things with bubba... as in I am becoming completely sleep deprived and as a result, so is poor S. I cannot settle for any long period of sleep, constantly turning, getting up to go to the bathroom (even if I  haven't had any water prior to bed, I can still get up 3 times in the night WTF), just waking up and staring at the darkness or worst of all, snoring. I get so congested during the night I start snoring like a freight train that not only disturbs S, it wakes me up! That's some pretty bad snoring!

At 35 weeks, I suspect our little man's arrival is going to be sooner than later... while not struggling entirely, it definitely feels like bubba is trying to get out. My swelling has also gone to a whole new level with my ankles non existent and my feet unrecognisable (I am wearing size 8 flats on my usual size 5 feet). Unfortunately my hands haven't escaped either and ache constantly from the swelling. S has turned into a Nazi nurse, ensuring that my feet are up whenever possible (not that it even has any effect now) and that I don't go too long without resting... he doesn't even let me do the groceries on my own anymore in case of heavy items needing lifting. All in all, I'm definitely deteriorating physically but its not worth getting upset over given I'm on the home stretch and lets face it, the end result far outweighs any of the aforementioned temporary discomfort.

On brighter topics, I would really like to share the book I am reading with you. It is of course pregnancy related, or more birth related really. Recommended to me by our Calmbirth practitioner (who is absolutely fabulous - if there are any GC or Brisbane ladies looking into this then Sarah Whyte is your go to!), I started reading A Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin about a week ago and am almost finished. It concentrates on birth as a natural positive experience we are all equipped and capable of enduring. It focuses very much on our abilities to cope with the pain naturally giving excellent scientific and factual information to support. It does however note that medical intervention does have its place and should not be ignored, just that it is unfortunately over used and can at times cause more harm than good. All in all, a very interesting read for anyone pregnant or trying for a baby. I can certainly say that between our Calmbirth classes and reading this book, I (and even S) are feeling very empowered by the impending birth of our son and I can honestly share that I have no fear of it. As S said to me last night, we intend to work as a team to deliver our baby as naturally as possible but are of course open to medical intervention if it is indicated. 

What else can I share? I haven't been shopping much or to be honest, the shopping I'm doing is pretty dull... unless you include what we have been buying for bub. S is determined to ensure his son carries on his shoe fetish and I think bubba now has 11 or maybe 12 pairs of shoes - S is now sneaking them in without announcement I suspect but here are the latest pairs:


He also snuck in a pair for himself conveniently...


In other news, I've finally finalised my maternity leave arrangements - I know, with only 4ish weeks to go, you would have thought this would have been done and dusted but there were a fair few considerations to take into account but taking the time to go back and forth has meant we have reached an agreement that benefits both our little family and the business I work for. I'm now trying to consider ahead and wondering what on earth I will occupy my time with... I know babies have a lot of needs but I have worked fulltime continuously since finishing high school in fairly demanding positions with my longest break/holiday being 4 weeks travelling the US. Luckily my mother only works part time and my sis in law is on maternity leave till December so I will have some options for company when I want to get out and about.

I'll end with some of the latest pics of my little niece - she's so gorgeous, just like a little doll and my sis in law has fallen into motherhood with ease (which gives me a lot of confidence for my impending arrival).




12 comments:

  1. Which reminds me, I have to start reading the stuff my obs gave me...

    Best of luck with the countdown to a happy and healthy birth.

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean the reams of leaflets about everything you can and cant do for the next 9+ months - enjoy :)

      x

      Delete
  2. Of course we're interested :-)

    Don't forget, when you're bored and lonely there is a blogging community here waiting to hear from you :-)

    Hope these last few weeks go well for you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you lovely - have just been stuck on what to share and what not to but a few things have been resolved in my life now so hopefully that should relieve the block.
      X

      Delete
  3. My bestie asks me whats wrong when I haven't updated my blog in a while! how funny!!

    Those little shoes are just so darn cute, I bet you can't wait for your precious arrival. All the best for the next few weeks.

    Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, she makes me laugh when she calls and says 'seriously, can you hurry up and post something for my ferry trip home' :)
      So hard to get mad at S for buying bubba so many pairs of shoes when they are just so cute! Very excited to meet (and name) our little man!!!! Thank you x

      Delete
  4. im so pleased to hear calmbirth is empowering you! i think it makes such a difference going in with a positive frame of mind.
    i cant believe you're 35 weeks already!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Calmbirth has definitely changed our whole attitude towards the birth and strengthened our relationship in heading into the experience as very much a team. I'm more excited than nervous or anxious about what is to come.
      I know! Time flies when you're having fun :)
      X

      Delete
  5. If we had a boy on the way I have no doubt we would have a little collection of shoes too. Hehe, so cute!

    Sorry to hear about the swelling. Are you on leave now?

    Your niece is so very cute! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too cute I know... makes it hard to get mad at S for buying so many pairs :)
      No leave yet... reduced hours though and lots of massage, acupuncture etc scheduled.
      Thank you, she's so precious.
      x

      Delete
  6. Your niece is beautiful. Wow, thats some swelled feet, 3 sizes up!
    Hope you are feeling more comfortable soon. (Is that even possible when pregnant? Ive never been, so apologies for being a derbrain.) lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, she's a real cutie!
      Tell me about it... they look ridiculous given how small they are normally :)
      Thank you ... I think so - its my first time too so no apologies necessary!
      X

      Delete