Now I have confirmed from several popular sites that the easiest way to do this is to have 3 separate bags - I know, sounds like overkill but it really does make sense once I explain.
Bag 1 is the 'Labour Bag' and so far my inclusions read:
- tennis ball (apparently a great massage resource to give hubby's hands a break if things go far awhile)
- Glasshouse Bora Bora candle (good chance it won't make it out of the bag but nice to have options IMO)
- panadol for S (apparently some hospitals are touchy about giving partners medication as they are not patients)
- change of clothes & boardshorts for S (in case he ends up in the shower apparently)
- snacks and drinks (mainly for S so he has no excuse to leave my side but apparently also for me for after when it is near impossible to track down food according to friends)
- ipod and dock (again may not make it out of the bag or could drive me crazy in reality but nice to have options)
- lip balm (very important according to experienced gf's)
- water bottle with straw (the straw is key)
- lollies for energy
- ipad with assorted movies, books, tv shows (obviously for distraction)
- ph charger (hoping things won't go long enough that our batteries will be worn out)
- wrap dress (again, it possibly wont last long but at least I can enter with some dignity)
- Camera (obviously for pics of bub but I have made it very clear we are not filming the proceedings and S is in agreement - not that he has much say on this)
Bag 2 being my hospital stay bag with clothes and toiletries and number 3 of course is for bub's things.
Seems like a lot I know but after much discussion with experienced girlfriends', they tell me its a pretty practical list that will cover our needs well unless of course it all goes out the window and I end up having a super quick labour or a c-section upon which the bag will be lucky to get opened :)
Any recs, suggestions or feedback from those in the know?