Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The Reveal

Despite my very best intentions to remain in the dark about bubba's sex, I was overruled at the morphology scan by husband and my mother - I know right... betrayed by my own mother!

The betrayal went a little something like this... I go to the bathroom midway through scan ad return to be greeted by mother 'S wants to know the baby's sex and I told him that he is the father so he has every right to make decisions also'. I asked my mum if S actually had voiced that or had she slipped the idea in while I was out because she wanted to know and then S piped up that he really did want to know and please could we find out. I took stock of the situation, realised I was fighting a losing battle, cut my losses and gave in so...

...Its a blue one! We are having a baby boy!

I can't lie, I was surprised as I had been convinced it was a girl and now I have a lot to learn (most of my girlfriends have girls so I have much more experience with baby girls) but am excited for the challenge and to meet out little boy.

S is ecstatic and already mapping out bubba's sporting future (karate, football, tennis, cricket and basketball are all in there) while my parents can't believe their luck - they have a granddaughter due in May and now a grandson in June... talk about lucky.

We wanted to share our news with family and dear friends in a more personal way than via text message so we borrowed another friends' idea and had an 'announcement' picnic.

Everyone (and I do mean everyone, there was at least 20 of us plus children) joined us at Burleigh Beach on the hill for fish'n chips and The Reveal.

The Reveal was done by way of a cake prepared by my mum with blue sponge hidden by white icing with pink & blue writing on the top and of course everyone knew the sex when the cake was cut. Unfortunately I can't share any pics of the cake as my sis in law knocked it over before we could photograph and cut it - it kind of destroyed the decorative writing my mum did but stayed intact to cover the sponge colour at least (little disappointed not to have a pic).

I have to say that if you are going to find out the sex early, this is a lovely way to share it with the people important to you and everyone really enjoyed the theatrics of it ... plus the chance to catch up.

Having known the sex for a week, my mother has gone shopping crazy and spoilt bubba beyond belief but there is so much to share that I will save that for the next post.

9 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS! Yayyyyy... it's a boy :)

    That is a awesome way to do the reveal! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So exciting! Congratulations!

    One of my best friends is in labour RIGHT NOW! Can't wait to hear what she has!

    ReplyDelete
  3. congratulations! how exciting for you and your family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting! Congratulations! It must be so much easier to buy and plan stuff now. I've heard (from friends with babies) that the DAd's often want to know the sex because, without the physical effects of being pregnant, it helps them be more connected to the pregnancy and the baby.

    Me, I hate surprises, I would have to know!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such great news and what an awesome way to share with your family and friends!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations, and I do love the dramatic reveal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! Such a cute way to tell your nearest & dearest :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Naaw congratulations huni! How wonderful. Talk about getting you at a weak moment though hehe, I bet a million things ran through your mind when you heard bubba boy :) I can't wait!

    Such a beautiful way to tell your family and friends! What a shame your SIL knocked it over :(

    Congrats again, I'm so happy for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. How exciting! Congratulations!

    SSG xxx

    ReplyDelete