Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Eenee Meenee miney mo

Prams... who knew there was so much choice, research and effort required? Not me that's for sure.

After endless browsing and research (this is not an exaggeration, I have put a lot of spare time into this over the past few weeks thanks to google and the local baby stores) we narrowed our short list to the Baby Jogger City Select, the Bugaboo Cameleon and the iCandy Apple (because the Cherry isn't available in Oz).

Although on my initial list, we ruled out the Striderplus because that thing is a monster and as S rightfully pointed out, I don't have a hope in hell of manage it or lifting it with my weak little arms. A helpful assistant also pointed out that the Bugaboo Donkey is still narrower than the Strider when set to 2 across - that is one big pram! I did like it though and it looks life it gives a pretty comfortable ride.

So our requirements became:

1. Light and easily manoeuvrable (S doesn't have a lot of faith in my strength as per above)
2. Must have bassinet and stroller seat attachment
3. Must have the option of facing in and out
4. Not too bulky when folded for easy storage
5. 4 wheels not 3

The three on our shortlist was narrowed to the Bugaboo and the iCandy due purely to aesthetic reasons - they have cuter/more colour choices than the City Select and the bassinet is a little lighter.

As the final two are about the same price, we are now leaning towards to the Bugaboo over the iCandy as iCandy is available from only one retailer that I can find in Oz and my concern (justified given the economy) is that if the retailer closes down, what becomes of our warranty. Therefore the Bugaboo seems the logical and sensible choice. S loves the red base with black or the grey base with red as Man U's colour is red however I am partial to the Missoni but realistically I don't mind the denim.



Now, just to cause a little more confusion, I could still go with my much desired ultimate choice, the iCandy Cherry in the Union Jack limited edition, as I could have my Mil bring it back when she goes to the UK for a few week's after bubba's birth but again, the warranty becomes an issue.

What would you go with or what pram do you have?

7 comments:

  1. Urgggh! I'm at my whits end with prams. So over it. I wish the Strider was narrower and lighter. It would then be the ultimate pram and no more worries!!

    One of my friends has the iCandy, she seems to like it. So sick and tired of reading and googling them. I might just buy a sling and be done with it! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha tell me about it Reezy! What a nightmare! We just want to pick one, get it and put the research behind us. If we can do deal with Baby Bunting, I think it will end up being the Bugaboo and I can live with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!

    I have nothing useful to add on the pram front... BUT just wanted to reply to your lovely comments! Yes we're in Osaka, living and working here for the next couple of years. I didn't end up going ont he ferris wheel... chickened out at the last minute, luckily we got a refund. I just have a horrifying fear of heights, like I start shaking and can't move. We went up skygarden a couple of months ago and I burst into tears. I really want to overcome it, that's why I'm trying to force myself to do these things!

    Thanks for your Osaka info! Haven't done spa land yet and I want to go in summer when the other fun stuff is open.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    Have you looked at the silvercross surf? It seems to fit your criteria.
    I am reviewing prams as well at the moment and its so confusing!
    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the suggestion. I hadn't considered the SilverCross Surf. Its enough to drive you mad isnt it? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I tell this to every new parent.
    Orbit Baby 2 words that will haunt you and make you want it. I shelled out big time for mine as the USD was so high when Pork Chop came. I believe it was close to $2000 that I paid including import taxes. But no regrets. I am selling mine and the new owner will pick it up this Saturday on Xmas eve. I might cry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my Ling, you have just enabled a lemming! I looked it up and... WOW! Unfortunately I finalised pram dilemma on Friday and went with the Bugaboo so after all the to'ing and fro'ing I don't think S will be terribly amenable to change :)

    ReplyDelete