Wednesday, December 7, 2011

And while we're on the subject

of my Christmas list, let me add the most important item to it (apart from bubba's health):

that everyone will undertake to sponsor a child through World Vision

I started sponsoring my little friend Sara of Ethiopia in 2005 at the age of 24 after watching the Live 8 concerts held around the globe. The images broadcasted devastated me and I felt that given my lucky life and penchant for blowing my money on the most materialistic of 'things' (it was about then that I had a roaring obsession with Sass and Bide - at full price... $260 denim skirts anyone? - and high end makeup consumerism at its finest), I could certainly afford to improve the life of a child less fortunate.

My sponsorship is something I have never regretted and is a sense of personal pride - that I am able to help another human being. Its not something I am prone to publicise and most people who know me would probably have no idea I sponsor Sara.

I know that people have very strong opinions about World Vision and similar charities and I respect everyone's right to those opinions but if you can help a child this Christmas or even for the coming year, there are plenty of them out there who need it and would appreciate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment