Monday, November 28, 2011

Akuna Tata and other favourites from the Disney Vault

My weekend was a surprisingly productive one... I say surprisingly as I was expecting to do more sleeping than anything else.

We had baby S sleepover on Friday night while her parents went to a Christmas party and this proved to be the perfect opportunity to watch one of a few of my new DVD purchases - I bought Beauty & the Beast, Bedknobs & Broomsticks and Mary Poppins last week. All classics in everyone's books but S' hence why they were still in shrinkwrap. Well baby S was the perfect excuse to get Beauty & the Beast playing - how could he deny a 2 1/2 year old a princess movie? Unfortunately at first baby S didn't want a bar of any princess movie, she wanted the 'Akuna tata' movie... lucky I speak 'baby S' and could translate this to The Lion King.


After explaining 'Akuna Tata' was broken (this may or may not have been a fib designed to save my sanity after watching The Lion King back to back 3 times last time baby S was over), I settled young miss to watch Beauty and the Beast and to my delight, she was hooked with the first song (me too for that matter). Spellbound by the movie, she didn't take her eyes off it and begged me to repeat each song with 'again again' cries when they ended. Baby S took much delight in explaining to me that the Beast was 'angry' when he was being mean to Belle but later he was 'nice' and 'not angry' any more.

Upon the movie ending, S told baby S she could watch 'Akuna Tata' now as he had fixed it but she wanted none of it and demanded the Princess movie again which is how we came to spend our Friday night watching Beauty and the Beast back to back.

On the subject of Disney movies, S can't complain about my new obsession with them as he was my enabler. He came home from work recently with a blu ray Diamond edition of The Lion King. Thinking it was a bit of a random selection for us, I queried why. S explained all about the 'Disney Vault' to me and how some movies are only available every 5 + years as part of a marketing ploy by Disney to ensure their greatest hits aren't overexposed. Did you know about this? I didn't and not one to believe everything I'm told, immediately turned to google for confirmation! Check this out... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney_Vault
Turns out S was right (I know, I was surprised too) and I am now quite concerned about how I am going to get my hands on a copy of The Little Mermaid, Aladdin and Snow White before my baby is born - not sure why I have this deadline but its very important to me at this point and let me tell you, if you don't already have The Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and Dumbo then you had better get yourself down to your local JB Hifi quick smart or risk depriving your children of the classics.

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh yes, the Disney vault! Luckily I have been aware of that for a very long time (a bit Disney obsessed here...) so I have bought everything as soon as it comes out and own all the classics. In some cases, more than one version.

    You can buy some off Amazon or Ebay, but they're not usually cheap. Of course, if it's for the baby, then surely you have to ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm certainly glad I have been enlightened to this 'Vault' business now MissR (turns out S can be very handy) and a few things now make sense like why I couldn't get my hands on a copy of The Little Mermaid instore anywhere a few years ago. I have S on the hunt now to source a few missing titles from my collection, all for the baby of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I LOVE all the Disney movies! Especially The Little Mermaid. I need to work on my collection for our baby too! Also love hanging out with old school Mickey, Minnie and the gang :))

    ReplyDelete