Monday, September 12, 2011

The Help


My dad was away this weekend in Perth so I decided to take my mum to the movies on Friday night to see The Help - I knew it was a movie she would enjoy more than S :)

Friday afternoon, I logged in to buy tickets online at Event Cinemas Robina and was again shocked at the price of cinema tickets - $17.50 per person. I always ask when I buy tickets, when did the movies get so expensive. S usually buys our tickets which is probably why I'm always surprised by the price when I have to buy them.

Anyways, considering the price, I decided to check Gold Class ticket prices also - they were $39 pp at Robina but only $20 pp at Southport. WTF? Same facilities and seats etc but half the price of Robina and only $2.50 more than regular seating at Robina. Given my poor mum has recently undergone hip surgery plus she has never been to gold class, I decided to book tickets at Southport and spoil her a little.

She was very impressed we had our own lobby, could order wine and she loved the seats.

Based on the book of the same name, mum and I both loved the movie. It was beautiful in some parts, inspiring and very sad at times. It showed both sides of the story, both the cruelty of white people and the beauty of them. The characters and the actors playing them were very real and believable with my favourite performances by Sissy Spacek, Viola Davis, Bryce Dallas Howard and Allison Janney. Emma Stone was also great but the other 4 women stole the movie for me.

The movie was set in the 1960's in Jackson, Mississippi and started with the return to town of society girl, Eugenia 'Skeeter' Phelan from college. determined to become a respected writer and not willing to sit by and accept the status quo, Skeeter convices 'the help' to talk to her about their experiences taking care of white families. In the process, she turns the entire town upside down.

It horrified mum and I to see how in those times, coloured people were good enough to raise white children, hug them, feed them, dress them but not good enough to use the household bathroom or touch a white adult. It made me sad to see how much of their lives 'the help' invested in their bosses lives only to be treated like dirt.

I was especially moved by the lesson that Abileen taught her little charge each day - 'I am kind, I am smart, I am important'. What a beautiful mantra to inspire in a child and something I would like to instill in my child someday.

An inspiring movie that made me want to do more and say more to make a difference in the world. It only takes the courage of one person to plant the seeds of change.

Can't wait to read the book now.

1 comment:

  1. I read the book a while ago and loved it:) And I adored the movie - had a few teary moments. Even the BF loved it.

    ReplyDelete