Monday, July 4, 2011

Who is taking the challenge...

Of course I'm referring to Dry July here and believe me, it is a challenge.

I have tried many a time to go alcohol-free for an extended period and have failed to reach my end goal every time. I think this is because I am an inherently social person with a full calendar surrounded by similar types who enjoy a glass of wine (or two) after work, champagne brunches on the weekend, a casual beer or a Saturday or Sunday afternoon and a few glasses of wine when catching up or out to dinner.

To paint you a picture, last week, S and I ...

* had dinner with his parents Tuesday - involving 2 bottles of wine and a German beer
* Wednesday night, S had a product launch on in Brisbane for work - with an open bar, while I had a girls' movie night - obligatory glass of wine
* my parents came for dinner Thursday night - beers for the boys & a bottle of wine for mum and I
* Friday was EOFY celebration at work with copious amounts of wine supplied by the boss and consumed by all of us
* afternoon beers were called for Saturday to celebrate after a beach carnival
* the weather totally called for a Sunday Session at the local tavern with friends and jugs of tap beer

See what I mean? It just seems like there is always something on that calls for a drink so this morning when I woke up, I decided to break the cycle.

I am going to commit to Dry July. Albeit 4 days late but I figure 27 days dry is better than none.

Now I won't lie, its going to be a struggle and this week is not an ideal one to choose for starting my dry campaign what with the State of Origin party at my parents' house and the faint promise of the Blues ending their drought with a series win! But I do think its worth the sacrifice for my health and to start some better habits.

Wish me luck peoples.

Is anyone else giving Dry July a whirl?

3 comments:

  1. I'm having a dry June and July. I live in the California wine country where the wine grape is practically worshipped. I found myself drinking wine nearly every night and had to take a break. I'm shooting for four months which is a looong time! If you ever want to commiserate, you know where to find me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thats a big effort Adrienne! I figure I'm best starting small :)
    Maybe we could be each others 'sponsors' - and co-commiserators x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not even going to try, I have no willpower! Haha

    ReplyDelete