Friday, July 29, 2011
Thursday, July 28, 2011
Simone I. Smith teamed up with the American Cancer Society to introduce "A Sweet Touch of Hope."
This stylish lollipop charm will help raise funds and awareness to help save more lives from cancer, a disease that affects everyone in some way. In 2004, Simone was diagnosed with stage III chondorosarcoma- a rare form of cancer. Her treatment required an invasive surgery that altered the appearance of her lollipop tattoo. "It literally looks like someone took a bite out of it,” says Simone. Inspired by her experience, the lollipop now represents Simone's journey to getting well and staying well, and has sparked a desire to help other cancer survivors.
10% of the purchase price is donated to the American Cancer Society.
Tuesday, July 26, 2011
From a distance it looks like a real suburb, but this is actually something right out of a classic Hollywood war movie.
Literally. It's a set. A huge set. This suburb sat over 12 metres in the air, atop a World War II airplane factory.
Fearful of Japanese bombing raids during World War II, plane manufacturer Boeing's critical Seattle factory, known as Plant 2, was hidden in spectacular theatrical style - beneath a fake suburb.
In 1942, Hollywood set designer and art director John Stewart Detlie was called in to work his magic on Plant 2's enormous - and very obvious - flat roof.
Publicity shot taken on the camouflaged roof of Plant 2. July 23 1945.
I love surveys and this is another one borrowed from So Beaucoup! while I am procrastinating my afternoon ahead:
* Outfit: Cue white collarded shirt with puffy shoulders and black piping down the front, Cue black pencil skirt, multi coloured silk scarf, patterned tights, black patent kitten heels
* Hairstyle: loose and wavy with fringe pinned back
* Jewelery: wedding & e ring, eternity rings, everyday belcher bracelet, everyday thick curb link necklace, every day fine link bracelet, shepherds hook earrings – all yellow gold
* Nail color: bare – haven’t gotten around to trying out my new OPI order
* Cut yourself: Never
* Lick yourself: Weird query - no!
* Whine a lot: I don't think so as its a trait that annoys me
* Hate a lot of people: No, just a few who have caused my family pain
* Have too many friends: No, although sometimes its hard to see them all as much as I would like
* Want to die: Definitely not
* Do drugs: Nope
* Wear dark colors: Often but recognise this and working on being more colourful
* Dye your hair: Sometimes ... like once every few years by one to two shades darker... I know, I'm a risk taker
Have you ever:
* Kissed someone: Lots of someones
* Gotten drunk: Many times... see earlier post on Dry July
* Worn rainbow: Yep, I had the most adorable suspenders when I was little (4/5) with rainbow clips
* Talked on the phone for over 3 hours: Regularly... to M
* Left the country: Yes and come back again unfortunately
* Had a party with over 30 people: Of course
* Taken nude pictures: Never, those types of things always come back to haunt you
* Stolen something: Unfortunately yes ... early teens are not always good judges
* Caught something on fire: My sandpit... my brother was a pyro when he was 10 ... enough said
* Cheated on someone: Nope
* Asked someone out: Not that I can recall
* Had a dream, then the next day it happens: Yes, and nightmares too :)
* You touched: S when I gave him a kiss
* You talked to: My boss – discussing tactics for a new campaign
* You hugged: see 'touched'
* You instant messaged: Don't use instant msg
* Understanding: I try to be and I think I am
* Open-minded: I almost always am
* Arrogant: At times
* Insecure: Sometimes
* Interesting: I guess so, people seek me out?
* Hungry: I just ate lunch so no
* Smart: Yes, I like to think so
* Moody: No unless I'm under stress
* Childish: I think I've outgrown this
* Independent: Yes, very at times
* Hard working: When I'm motivated
* Healthy: I should be better with exercise and drink less soft drink
* Emotional: I can be when tired
* Shy: Sometimes in new situations
* Difficult: Unfortunately yes
* Attractive: Depends who you ask
* Bored easily: Definitely – watching tv for me involves my phone at arm’s reach and a book or magazine for the ads
* Thirsty: yes, for some cold water
* Obsessed: yes, with the Duchess of Cambridge's style
* Angry: a little, some people really bug me
* Sad: a little, a person I care about a lot is not well
* Happy: yep, I have a great life and lots of blessings
* Trusting: No, I have a suspicious mind
* Ill: Nope
* Talkative: Definitely, everyone who knows me says so
* Ignored: Not usually as I am a little demanding I think
* Reliable: I almost always am
* Self-disciplined: Not particularly
* Sleepy: Always in the mornings & usually after 10pm nowdays (getting old)
* Lonely: Sometimes on the weekends when S works
* What is your favorite band?: The Script or U2
* Colour(s)?: navy or red
* Soda?: Coke
* Music?: All of it - almost
* Stores in the mall?: Country Road, Kookai, Cue
* Ice cream?: Mint choc chip, Baskin's rockin' candy or rainbow sherbert
* Candy?: Not much of a sweet tooth - fizzy heart lollies
* CD?: anything by The Script or U2
* Cookies?: choc chip - especially the Kmart decadent ones
* Holiday?: Australia day or ANZAC day
* Month?: December…holidays, presents, new years, sunshine, camping
In the last 48 hours:
* Cried?: teary for someone
* Missed someone?: my grandparents ... I always miss them
* Yelled at someone?: Yep, poor S
* Changed your underwear?: A lot
* Drove somewhere?: Of course, you can’t get around the Coast otherwise
* Talked to someone on the phone?: Many people many times
* Been online?: Too much
* Smiled?: Lots
* Had sex?: Of course, you need to for baby making :)
* Kissed someone?: Yep, lucky S
Monday, July 25, 2011
Thursday, July 21, 2011
Thursday, July 14, 2011
Ladies and Gentlemen of the class of ’99
If I could offer you only one tip for the future, sunscreen would be
it. The long term benefits of sunscreen have been proved by
scientists whereas the rest of my advice has no basis more reliable
than my own meandering
experience…I will dispense this advice now.
Enjoy the power and beauty of your youth; oh nevermind; you will not
understand the power and beauty of your youth until they have faded.
But trust me, in 20 years you’ll look back at photos of yourself and
recall in a way you can’t grasp now how much possibility lay before
you and how fabulous you really looked….You’re not as fat as you
Don’t worry about the future; or worry, but know that worrying is as
effective as trying to solve an algebra equation by chewing
bubblegum. The real troubles in your life are apt to be things that
never crossed your worried mind; the kind that blindside you at 4pm
on some idle Tuesday.
Do one thing everyday that scares you
Don’t be reckless with other people’s hearts, don’t put up with
people who are reckless with yours.
Don’t waste your time on jealousy; sometimes you’re ahead, sometimes
you’re behind…the race is long, and in the end, it’s only with
Remember the compliments you receive, forget the insults; if you
succeed in doing this, tell me how.
Keep your old love letters, throw away your old bank statements.
Don’t feel guilty if you don’t know what you want to do with your
life…the most interesting people I know didn’t know at 22 what they
wanted to do with their lives, some of the most interesting 40 year
olds I know still don’t.
Get plenty of calcium.
Be kind to your knees, you’ll miss them when they’re gone.
Maybe you’ll marry, maybe you won’t, maybe you’ll have children,maybe
you won’t, maybe you’ll divorce at 40, maybe you’ll dance the funky
chicken on your 75th wedding anniversary…what ever you do, don’t
congratulate yourself too much or berate yourself either – your
choices are half chance, so are everybody else’s. Enjoy your body,
use it every way you can…don’t be afraid of it, or what other people
think of it, it’s the greatest instrument you’ll ever
Dance…even if you have nowhere to do it but in your own living room.
Read the directions, even if you don’t follow them.
Do NOT read beauty magazines, they will only make you feel ugly.
Get to know your parents, you never know when they’ll be gone for
Be nice to your siblings; they are the best link to your past and the
people most likely to stick with you in the future.
Understand that friends come and go,but for the precious few you
should hold on. Work hard to bridge the gaps in geography and
lifestyle because the older you get, the more you need the people you
knew when you were young.
Live in New York City once, but leave before it makes you hard; live
in Northern California once, but leave before it makes you soft.
Accept certain inalienable truths, prices will rise, politicians will
philander, you too will get old, and when you do you’ll fantasize
that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were
noble and children respected their elders.
Respect your elders.
Don’t expect anyone else to support you. Maybe you have a trust fund,
maybe you have a wealthy spouse; but you never know when either one
might run out.
Don’t mess too much with your hair, or by the time you're 40, it will
Be careful whose advice you buy, but, be patient with those who
supply it. Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of
fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the
ugly parts and recycling it for more than
But trust me on the sunscreen…
Tuesday, July 12, 2011
My name is Diamond Ann
I am six. I was named
after Princess Diana. My
mommy Memory is in heaven
with her. I have cancer. I
spend a lot of time at
the hospital. I watched
you get married from my
bed there. You looked
pretty. I like playing
Princess dress up. My
favourite Princess is
Aurora. Who is yours?
I would really like to
meet you. Do you want
to meet me too?
Thank you for reading
Isn't it just so sweet and innocent (and a little bit heartbreaking).