Friday, May 6, 2011

Saving money to spend

S and I have a pretty low grocery bill on average but there is always room for savings - especially when there are so many things on my want list.

We usually do a market shop for fresh produce and gourmet items (fresh pastas and sauces), a 6-8 weekly butcher shop and then Coles for grocery items. On average we spend about $150 per fortnight on markets and Coles with about $150 per butcher shop. Pretty good I think, considering I have many friends who spend $200+ per week for two people.

My mum has always been a huge advocate of Aldi and now that my sis K has her own home, she too has joined the bandwagon. Me? I'm a bit meh on Aldi but only because the few times S and I have visited the local shop the shelves are low and they have almost nothing on our list in stock (this could be because we were going on a Sunday afternoon). We also have it pretty easy as our local shopping centre has Coles, Aldi and Woolies in the complex - makes it easy to shop for catalogue bargains let me tell you.

Anyway, in the interests of thrift (and my non edible shopping list) I am off to attempt a grocery shop at Aldi after work. I have even packed my recyclable bags in preparation. I have read the vogue forum on Aldi basics and checked the website to compile my list so wish me luck.

I will post back in to let you know how my experiment turned out.

4 comments:

  1. Hi, being a newby to the GC myself, I was wondering where the fresh food markets are at the coast.. is there any ones that are better than others?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi & welcome to the GC.
    My fave (and best priced markets) are the Palm Beach farmers Markets every Sat morning from 6/7am till 11am. They are at Palm Beach Currumbin Highschool and tend to have a good mix of vegies, fruit and gourmet items.
    There are also the Marina Mirage markets every second Saturday but this tend to be a little pricier. The Carrara markets (all weekend every weekend) can be good also for specials or there are Mudgeeraba farmers markets but I'm not sure of the schedule.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh i was about to ask which fresh food markets you go to! :)

    have you checked out the ones at bundall racecourse?

    i sometimes go to the ferry road market, but it does get exxy :( i like cararra markets too but it can get really busy. pbc is the other end of the coast for me but i might have to make the trek sometime.

    hope you have a good weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol read your mind mimi :)
    Bundall are good but I still prefer the PBC markets (love Ferry Road but just not practical for a weekly shop). I am mid coast (4218 area) so its still a trek but I usually get there around 8am and once I finish my shop, you can relax with brekky or a coffee in an area they set up with live local music & tables and chairs. Definitely worth the visit.
    Have a great weekend too :)

    ReplyDelete