Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Nothing...

Am I better off dead, am I better off a quitter
They say I'm better off now, than I ever was with her
As they take me to my local down the street
I'm smiling but I'm dying trying not to drag my feet
They say a few drinks will help me to forget her
But after one too many I know that I'm never

Only they can see where this is gonna end
But they all think I'm crazy but to me it's perfect sense

And my mates are all there trying to calm me down
'Cause I'm shouting your name all over town
I'm swearing if I go there now
I can change her mind turn it all around
I know that I'm drunk but I'll say the words,
And she'll listen this time even though they're slurred,
So I dialed her number and confessed to her,
I'm still in love but all I heard was nothing (nothing, nothing...)

This is The Script's latest single and they played it at the concert on Sunday night. They also explained that they wrote it as a result of the lead singer's breakup and how the done thing is to take the brokenhearted to the Local for a few drinks but inevitably this always leads to drunk dialling.

Love this song but to be totally honest, I don't recall having ever been a drunk dialler. No matter how sad, angry or drunk I was, I just couldn't bring myself to do it - for me, it was all about pride and there was no way an ex was ever going to have me beg for them.

One ex-boyfriend commented years later that he waited for a week for me to call after our breakup (he broke up with me) and when I didn't he called me because he couldn't handle the silence. As I said to him then, why would I call, he made the end pretty clear and I have my pride.

I have some friends though that are the worst and most dedicated drunk diallers of all time. One girlfriend I went to high school with would purposely delete the ex's phone number from her mobile as she knew how bad she was but this turned out to be pointless as she had it memorised then we got smart and banned her bringing out a mobile but she would just pinch one of our phones anyway. The worst I remember was her crying in the gutter literally begging me for my phone so she could call him and me trying to talk her down until she saw the phone booth on the corner and sprinted for it making a reverse charge call to him at 2am.



Maybe having been witness to this drunk dialling prevented me from becoming a DD. Are you a drunk dialler or do you have a funny story?

No comments:

Post a Comment