Thursday, February 10, 2011

Lazarus Rising

If you have read my past blogposts you will know that I am a HUGE fan of little Johnny Howard!

Best Prime Minister Australia has had in my (and many others) opinion.



Moving forward, I had the privilege of meeting Johnny last year at a local Sports Lunch and it was here that I purchased his biography and had it inscribed - see pic below:




So I finally finished everything in my bookshelves for the fifth time (no easy feat as I have big bookshelves) and decided it was time to tackle 'Lazarus Rising' (JH's biography). Now being a fan of Johnny, you may wonder why it took me so long to actually start reading the book. Fair question. Well, biographies, particularly of the political variety are at times a little tricky to get into so I really have to be in the mood/frame of mind to start one or I wont end up making it past the first page.



The first key to getting started is 'alone time'! S doesn't like competing with a book for my attention. Sometimes we can sit in silence until I pick up a book and suddenly he has a million things to say. I know, annoying! Monday night was my first chance at alone time as S had soccer.



A glass of wine in hand, I settled in to read and was quite hooked from the beginning. I can identify so much with his upbringing (no, I didn't grow up in the 1940's etc) through his home life, parental influence and his religious beliefs/faith. His interest in politics and world events at a young age very much mirrors my own and I can absolutely respect the man behind the Prime Ministership (is that a word?).



I am looking forward to reading some more when S is otherwise occupied.

No comments:

Post a Comment