Thursday, September 16, 2010

Don'ts for Husbands & Wives



These are the most entertaining little books. Written in 1913 by Blanche Ebbutt, these books offer advice to husbands and wives for a successful marriage.

In all honesty, they are completely hilarious and although a little outdated, there is truth to some suggestions:


FOR WIVES: Don't let your husband wear a violet tie with grass-green socks. If he is unhappily devoid of the color sense, he must be forcibly restrained, but -- don't be sarcastic about your husband's taste in dress.


FOR WIVES: Don't try to excite your husband's jealousy by flirting with other men. You may succeed better than you want to. It is like playing with tigers and edged tools and volcanoes all in one.

FOR HUSBANDS: Don't give up cricket, or football ... or whatever outdoor sport you have been accustomed to just because you are married. Athletics will keep you from becoming flabby.

For wives: Don’t forget to ‘feed the brute’ well. Much depends on the state of his digestion. Don’t keep your sweetest smiles and your best manners for outsiders; let your husband come first.

For husbands: Don’t flirt with other women. Your wife may or may not be jealous, but she will certainly despise you if you do. Don’t try to ‘drive’ your wife. You will find it so much easier to lead her.

They are a bargain at around $7.95 per book so I ordered them online from Angus & Robertson to gift to my sister and her husband this weekend - that's right, the wedding of the year is happening this Saturday and I cannot wait!

I think my sister and brother in law will get a good laugh out of these as they both have a great sense of humour and love to debate who wears the pants - my brother in law is smart enough though to agree my sister is always in charge.

2 comments:

  1. These are great!!! I want them! I am going to have to look them up. I have some close friends getting married in Oct and not having bucks or hens so this could be a lovely little gift to give them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many funny suggestions in them - one I read with my sister yesterday was to do with 'dont tell him he cant buy a motorcycle, instruct him he must buy a side car at the same time' ha ha

    ReplyDelete